Contact Us
Basket (0)   View
Forgotten your password?
News & Blog Find a Caterer For Sale Contact Us
The Nationwide Caterers Association

News & Updates

Get the Latest news & updates from NCASS

Reminder to register your trailers before hitting European or international roads

by Sophie Haigh | Sep 02, 2019

The DVLA is reminding drivers that they must register trailers over 750kg if they intend to tow them on roads internationally or within most European countries. 

According to road traffic regulations, commercial trailers over 750kg and non-commercial trailers over 3,500kg must be registered and display their own registration plate (separate from the vehicle towing them), as well as hold a trailer registration certificate that can be shown to a foreign authority on request.

Some EU and EEA countries will also require a separate green card as proof of insurance for trailers if there’s a no-deal Brexit.

Which countries require a registration?

You must register your trailer to travel in these countries:

Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland and Ukraine.

You do not need to register trailers that are only used in the UK and for journeys between the UK and Ireland. You also do not need to register trailers used in Cyprus, Liechtenstein, Malta and Spain, however, you must register trailers to tow them through any country where the rules apply to reach those countries.

How much does it cost?

  • £26 to register a trailer for the first time
  • £21 to issue a new registration certificate for a new registered keeper
  • £10 for a replacement UK trailer registration certificate

How do I register my trailer?

Click here to register your trailer on the website. Before you start, you will need the name of the trailer manufacturer, the trailer’s vehicle identification number (VIN) or chassis number, the gross and unladen weight of the trailers, an email address and a debit or credit card. You will also need a Government Gateway ID and password if you haven’t got one already.


Not yet an NCASS member?

Join the association